No matter where your marriage is, it can always become stronger. Pastor David Jeremiah has some ideas for those who want to shake things up a bit.
Dr. Jeremiah offers 15 ideas in an article on familylife.com. Here a just a few.
- Be romantic. Great romance doesn’t just happen, it’s planned.
- Compliment each other. Decide to compliment your spouse on at least one thing every day. Be sure to refrain from back-handed compliments.
- Date your spouse. Don’t lose that “lovin’ feeling” you had when you first started dating. Commit to regular, scheduled date nights, and take turns choosing the agenda.
- Share your time. This is your life, right now. Don’t get so busy that you forget to slow down and enjoy life—and to enjoy it with your spouse.
- Be spontaneous. Do something out of the ordinary for your spouse once a week. Draw closer to one another in the midst of the unfamiliar.
- Make communication a priority. Learn your mate’s communication style. Pay attention and actively listen to what your spouse has to say: nod, reply, and make eye contact.
- Listen. Devote your full attention to what your spouse is saying rather than using the time to prepare your own response.
- Support change. You and your spouse will change over the course of your marriage and it’s important to accept those changes. If you need more support, ask!
- Serve your spouse. If you are both putting the other first, your needs will never go unmet. Start serving today!